Products and ServicesServices
Traffic Safety, Bullying
About Police National Headquarters
New Zealand Police is working with the community to make New Zealanders be safe and feel safe. With nearly 12,000 staff, we provide policing services 24 hours a day, every day. We operate by land, sea and air, manage over 770,000 emergency calls a year and are always actively preventing crime and crashes.
Vision of New Zealand Police
New Zealand Police aims to have the trust and confidence of all. To achieve this we operate in accordance with our values and work in partnership with individuals, communities, businesses and other public sector agencies to achieve Safer Communities Together.
Functions of New Zealand Police
The functions of Police include:
- Keeping the peace
- Maintaining public safety
- Law enforcement
- Crime prevention
- Community support and reassurance
- National security
- Participation in policing activities outside New Zealand
- Emergency management
In carrying out these functions, Police relies on a range of partner organisations, as well as the efforts of individuals, families and communities. Policing is delivered within a networked and cooperative environment, with significant contributions from local authorities, the private security industry, Maori and Pacific wardens and members of the public to name a few.
Our mission is for New Zealand to be the safest country in the world.
Commitment of Service to the New Zealand public
Our commitment to you:
- We will treat you fairly
- Our staff will be competent
- We will do what we say we'll do
- We aim to meet your service expectations
- We will take your individual circumstances into account
- Our service will be good value for your tax dollars
What we need from you:
- Contact us as soon as possible, the sooner the better
- Provide us with all the information that you can
- Tell us straight away about any changes to your situation
- Ask us if you need more information
- Your feedback will help us improve our services to you.
To praise or complain about Police, contact us online, in person, by phone or by post.