Products and ServicesConcerns
Anxiety, Communication Issues, Coping Skills, Depression, Marriage, Alcoholism, Grief, Anger, Addictions, Trauma, Life CrisisServices
Consulting, Counselling, Grief CounsellingInsurance Accepted
Accident Compensation CorporationAssurances
About Counselling Psychotherapy
Mary Fennessy - Counselling, Psychotherapy & Supervision
About me and my practice ~
After working as a teacher, marrying and raising a family I decided to further explore the meaning of human existence. A study of Theology lead me to a deeper inquiry into human development and emotional health and then into training in psychotherapy.
I have been working in private practice as a psychotherapist and counsellor since 1991 having trained initially under an apprenticeship model. This involved intensive individual training in psychotherapy from 1988 to 1993 with Mr Harold Bernhardt (BA; MA; ANZPsS; MNZAP; former senior Psychologist at Ashburn Hall and Senior Lecturer at University of Otago Medical School.)
Since then I have also graduated as a Gestalt Psychotherapist. I am trained and received Certification as an Imago Relationship therapist.
My full-time practice is located within a Health Centre and while many of my referrals come from Doctors and self-referrals, others come through professional work schemes, ACC and the Family Court.
I have experience working with people with a range of issues, including:
- Relationship, couple, family and parenting
- Depression and anxiety
- Crisis and grief reactions
- Mind/body connections with physical illnesses
- Eating disorders
- Conflict resolution
- The effects of sexual, physical and emotional abuse
Mary also works with individuals who want:
- To modify their alcohol use
- Professional supervision or support
- To review or change their lives
- Diploma in Gestalt Therapy (Gestalt Institute of NZ)
- Certificate in Interface of Psychotherapy and Psychiatry (Gestalt Institute of NZ)
- Certificate in Theories of Psychotherapy (Ashburn Clinic)
- International Certification as Imago Relationship Therapist.
- BTheol (Otago)
- BA (Otago)
- Teacher's College Diploma
- Registered Psychotherapist
- Member of New Zealand Association of Psychotherapists; Title is ¿NZAP Member with Advanced Clinical Practice¿
- Member of New Zealand Association of Counsellors
- Member of Imago Relationships International
Personal Interests ~
I enjoy spending time with my family and friends, reading, films, exercise and walking in the countryside. I continue to explore the meaning of being human and to experience joy in the changing circumstances in my own life and the lives of others.
ACC Referrals are accepted - WINZ Funding can be used where applicable - Wheelchair Accessible - On-site Parking available!
Consultations are 50 mins and Fee is by arrangement
Call today to set up an appointment.
What makes us different
I am a Supervisor of Professionals - I provide professional supervision for other psychotherapists, having trained in this area.