Boost your farm productivity and fast-track your career with the skills and qualifications you need. Agriculture ITO is a not-for-profit organisation that develops industry-funded training for people in agriculture.
We offer nationally recognised and New Zealand Qualifications Authority (NZQA) registered qualifications in industry sectors ranging from dairy, sheep and cattle to rural servicing, wool harvesting and water industry services. Our trainees cover the spectrum, from recent school leavers to those experienced in their industry to people making a new career move.
One of our biggest strengths is that we offer people the chance to learn while they're working and earning a regular wage. They also get help and support from their local specialist Agriculture ITO Training/Industry Adviser - an important part of helping them stay focused on their goals, motivated to study and progressing in their careers.
Trainees gain their qualifications through a mix of practical and theory-based study:
- Practical training takes place on the job, with trainees learning the ropes from experienced farmers and employers
- Theory-based training happens off the job through accredited training providers either through day-release classes or distance learning. It's arranged by Agriculture ITO Training/Industry Advisers.
Our role is to:
- Work with employers and others in our industry to identify, manage and promote training opportunities
- Work with schools to help students learn the basics of agriculture before they enter the industry
- Work with industry partners to develop useful and relevant qualifications that are nationally recognised and registered with NZQA.
- Contract and work with accredited training providers who deliver courses on our behalf
- Monitor the quality of training and assessment, both on and off the job.
We also offer Modern Apprenticeships - a government-sponsored programme that provides support and mentoring for 16 to 21 year-olds working in our industry. It's all part of ensuring we attract, train and retain the high-calibre people our industry needs, for today and the future.
See our website for more information. See also the benefits for employers and sections to see what we can do for you.